Sony Ericsson W710i review published

Sony Ericsson's W710i is the second phone I've seen over a few months that is designed for sporting types. The other was Nokia's 5500 Sport.

The Sony Ericsson offering is, for my money, the better of the two. You can calibrate its pedometer which gets more accuracy from its distance measurement system (though frankly you are still a lot better off with a system involving GPS if you are serious about distance measurement), its clamshell design includes a good front screen and music controls on the front fascia, and it is all round a bit easier to use.

I also happen to think it has a more attractive hardware design than the 5500 Sport, though I do reaiise this is a subjective matter.

I have to say that if I were choosing kit to help me improve on fitness I would not opt for either of these phones, but for something with more 'bite' to its features. I'd want a heart rate monitor, GPS, and maybe an easy way of getting cumulative information into a PC.

There are plenty of bits of kit offering this kind of sophistication around. On the other hand, if you want simply to do a set number of steps a day and want a pedometer to monitor the task, either of these phones will do, with the W750i being my preferred better choice.

Read my full review of the Sony Ericsson W710i at Trusted Reviews, here.